Monday, April 30, 2012

May Day

Happy May Day, friends! I'm so sorry for the absence. The phone company worked on the lines on Friday and (as usual) knocked out our phone in the process. It took us til yesterday evening to get them back out here to restore it. And, wouldn't you know it, our neighbor's got disconnected when they did. Sheesh!
Anyway, I was super busy those few days anyway.... craft show on Saturday and working on a May Day craft for the girls to enjoy.
Photobucket
This turned out so sweet. If you want to make your own, I use a pre-cut dowel from the craft stores (you can find them in packs in the unfinished wood section) and a wooden wheel, found in the same place. I used one of the teeny cups from that section, I believe they're marked as candle cups, as the topper. It was a tight fit and, as I needed it to fit over the ribbons, I sanded the dowel a bit to allow for a little wiggle room. Glue the ribbons to the top and then glue all of the wooden pieces together and the whole thing stands quite nicely on it's own.
Photobucket
The dolls are a variation of this tutorial. I used a straight pin to have them hold the ribbons, I didn't want it to be permanent.
Photobucket

Photobucket
Here's a branch of snowy May
A branch the fairies gave me
Who would like to dance today
With the branch the fairies gave me?
Dance away. dance away
Holding high the branch of May.
Dance away, dance away
Holding high the branch of May.

From Festivals, Family and Food
Photobucket
We've been singing this song in our circle time so yesterday the girls and I made ribbons wands to dance while we sing. I made a hole in the top of the dowel with a push pin before screwing in the closed hook (can be found in the picture framing section of craft store or in the wood working of some).
Photobucket

Photobucket
Even the littlest enjoyed picking out her ribbons, though, I had to thread and tie.
Photobucket

Photobucket
And today we're going to make cones like these to fill with some things for our neighbors. A cake may be in order, too.
We're looking forward to driving up the mountain to celebrate with the semi-local Waldorf school at their May Faire on Saturday. How are you celebrating today?

Oh, and I've not forgotten about the winner....

CrippleHorse

Congratulations! I'll email you right now and you have through 5/3 to get back with me.

And for everyone else I'm offering a special price for these dolls this week only.

Have a very happy day!