Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Making Dandelion Infused Oil

The humble dandelion. They're all over the yard right now, well, because we've yet to mow our first Spring mow. We were waiting to pick the dandelions, you know? Yeah, we'll go with that. Ahem! Anyway, I stepped out the back door to go care for the animals this morning and thought 'We've got to do something with all these dandelions!'. And by something I wasn't thinking of the weed-be-gone type of something. No, something more along the lines of kitchen apothecary and mama herbalist (my dream!).
/
So after reading up on what they're good for and how to use them I decided we would start with a simple infused oil. The girls and I scoured the yard and plucked every last dandelion we could find. Even little River got in on the action and dumped her basket twice, by the way. But she only picked the dandelions (and rocks).
/

/

/


I'm sure I'll walk back out there in the morning and they'll be taking over again. But that's OK with me!

Zoe helped me to separate the flowers from the stem and we dumped them in our jar.
/

/
She poured the oil in.... we used grape seed because I like that it's lighter and less smelly than olive. I was almost out, though, and we didn't have enough to really cover the flowers so I'll pick up another bottle tomorrow and I think while I'm at it I'll break up the flowers a bit more. I looked at a few how-tos and one said pull the flowers out, another said open it up but leave the green on and another said just pull the stem off. Hmmm...
Photobucket

Photobucket
The oil is supposed to;
ease premenstrual soreness,
relieve pain,
soothe arthritic joints, back tension, sinus headaches, stiff necks, and weepy swollen skin sores,
strengthen the immune system,
protect against cancer,
and increase one’s sense of self-worth.

High claims! We shall see.... If you want to learn more about making your own check out links here and here, too. This is a great thing to do with children. They love learning that these things that are so prevalent and we take for granted are actually really useful and they can have a hand in that!

PS; Don't forget to enter this week's giveaway from The Enchanted Cupboard. Also, stay tuned for a special giveaway this weekend (starts Friday) from my girls' favorite author! Can you guess who it might be?